A lot has happened at the cabin site since the last post! Here is an update of what went down after the time lapse video. Thank you for all the great help in getting this done! I’m really grateful for all of the awesome people I’ve met here.
The trusses were engineered and delivered after a 6 week wait time. Ughh! Half of the building will have attic trusses so that the second floor loft will have lots of room. The other half are scissor trusses which make really high ceilings in the living room.
Ultimately, these trusses would have to go up the hill, on to the platform, and sit on top of the walls. Usually this is done with a crane especially because they were made of 2×8’s…heavy and really clumsy to handle.
We didn’t have a crane. So we decided to leave part of the wall unfinished so that we could squeeze the trusses through the opening. Then we would stand them upside down on top of the walls and flip them with a rope and push stick.
We built up the walls and cut in openings for the windows and doors. I had previously scoured Craigslist for used windows and saved a ton of money that way. Used windows are the way to go. In one case somebody had brand new casement windows for sale. He was stuck with them because he special ordered the wrong size for his openings. I would not have this problem as I’m building the wall openings specifically to match whatever windows I find.
Here is the process for hauling the trusses up the hill. Really thankful for the help here because I could have never done this by myself. One by one we would work them up and then flip them onto the walls. This was clearly the hardest thing I’ve ever done in construction and thankful that everyone walked away injury free.
This then is the final product for now. It is just awaiting sheathing and gift wrapping the whole house. Oh and siding, roofing, plumbing, electricity, flooring, a bathroom, kitchen, wraparound porch, ….:-)